Sunday 28 February 2010

Burning the candle

Floral Blanket Necklace, silver, oxidised silver & rhodonite £260


After a weekend of both work and play, I have to say I am over it! There was no getting away from the fact that I had to drag myself to the studio both yesterday and today! I have been working on a small collection for the reopening of Redbarn, a lovely gallery in Cumbria not far away from Penrith. I have had work with them ever since they first established themselves five years ago.
It was time for a refresh of my work and so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to get some of my new work there in time for the reopening on the 6th March. Redbarn has been closed for a couple of months since the festive period was over, so hopefully people will be flocking there next weekend!
The necklace above is the main piece of the collection. The stones are rhodonites. I love this pink colour with the dark grey speckles through it and thought it would be perfect to have a combination of both silver & oxidised silver to compliment the stones. The bud in the centre has been oxidised. For those of you who don't know what oxidization is, it is simply dipping the silver in liver of sulphur to get this black or dark grey finish.

After receiving my lovely stones and silver in the post this week, I am dying to get on with making. However, the Goldsmiths Fair application deadline is just a week away. Very tedious indeed! The Goldsmiths Fair happens once a year at the Goldsmiths Hall in London during october time. I have exhibited at this prestigious fair a few times although haven't done so the last couple of years, so fingers crossed!

I will post some more pics of the redbarn work this week. It is a mixture of old and new but works quite well as a group.

Right I'm off to curl up on the couch!
Dx

No comments: