Wednesday 26 August 2009

You Spoon!


Getting up late this morning after another night shift at Dazzle, I made it to the studio for the first time in a week! It was a slow start but quite productive in the end.
I was asked last week to come up with a spoon for an exhibition at the Scottish Gallery which opens next week! www.scottish-gallery.co.uk The exhibition will include spoons designed and made by a number of established contemporary jewellers and silversmiths.
I've had to come up with something quite quickly so I've already pierced the shape (bottom drawing) in it's flat form. It is a double ended spoon and each end will be formed so that when you hold the spoon in your hand, the opposite end will curve into your hand. The next step will be to fuse the ovals on top. There will be a gold oval involved somewhere but haven't decided where yet. At the moment the spoon is not strong enough on it's own as the silver sheet is too thin, but I'm hoping that once it's all fused together the over lapping will make it less delicate. Will let you know how it turns out :)

Grace Girvan, another fabulous fellow jeweller at Coburg House (check links) made me aware of the term 'You Spoon!" today. I think it's maybe a scottish thing! Still not quite sure how you would define the word, but Grace says it's like saying 'You Tube!'. Another scottish term! I suspect it just means 'silly'.

Better stop the silly talk now x

No comments: